Saturday, August 30, 2014

Paloma Cocktail with Kah Blanco Tequila

We will call this a "preview edition" as it is not a regular installment of "Sunday Cocktails". . . 

 

Let's call it "End of Summer Extra Cocktail Edition"!


I was really checking for updates on newsworthy stories when a thumbnail on the Yahoo Homepage boasted about a Mexican cocktail more popular than the margarita. I guess I can be easily distracted, especially by a cocktail recipe.

Well I love a margarita so I was very interested. It took me to this link for a video on how to make a Paloma which they dubbed the "anti-margarita".


While I'm not about to give up margaritas anytime soon because of a new drink, I was interested in the grapefruit soda that they included with this. You see, it's rare that I actually have ingredients in the house but I have a huge case of Izze soda from Costco that has just been sitting behind the door (who has storage for bulk purchases?) and I knew for a fact that there were grapefruit soda bottles in that case. 

Maybe more important was that the recipe specified blanco tequila. While I have some run of the mill tequila I have been using for some time, I do have some reserve tequila as I have all of the Kah varieties (because I really just wanted the sugar skull bottles and really didn't care what was in them). So this was a perfect excuse to finally open the white skull. The video did give a brief overview of all three flavors of tequila and apparently the white is the one that has not been aged and is, well, white.


The video narrator mentioned that he does not rim the glass with salt, preferring just a pinch but I am all about the salty rim. I love getting a little bit with each sip and I wasn't about to give it up. Based on the rest of his video this is what I did.

Paloma Cocktail

Ingredients:

2 oz Blanco Tequila
Ice
Lime Juice
4 oz Izze Grapefruit Soda
Lime Wedges

 

Directions:

Pour 2 oz of tequila over ice in a salt rimmed glass. Add a good squeeze of lime. Add 4 oz of grapefruit soda and lime wedges.

Enjoy!

I found this drink light as promised and I might be using this blanco tequila more often. I don't think I appreciated how smooth and light this stuff was going to be and I may be converted to good tequila from now one. I might just open another one of these bottles I have been using as decoration in my house! Maybe Reposado next?






No comments:

Post a Comment