Sunday, June 16, 2013

Two Tarts with One Tart Shell Recipe

Perhaps I should invest in a tart pan? 

Apparently a pie plate uses less of the dough. . .



I found this wonderful looking recipe on Pinterest the other day for a Ricotta Lime Tart that really sounded like a perfect taste of summer. I followed the recipe and found that when I made the dough for the tart, I was able to make two shells. The first was the "main" one I intended, a white Corningware dish that was about 11 inches in diameter and I had enough to also line an 8 inch glass pie plate.


Again, I probably should invest in a tart pan but that wasn't happening today. When I made the filling I found that I had just enough for the larger tart shell so what's a girl to do? Two tart shells require two fillings I guess. I quickly went on line to find something else to make another tart and found this Strawberry and Ricotta Tart recipe to use an alternate with some slight modifications (I didn't have orange flower water but I do have almond and vanilla extracts!) since I had fresh strawberries already sliced from this morning's grocery store run.

So my recipes are based on the two links, with little modifications. One tart shell recipe and two fillings. I added vanilla and almond extracts to both (I couldn't resist, the aroma is just as important as the taste). Because they both were baked in 350 degree ovens I was able to stagger and use the same oven. However, because I didn't realize that I would not have enough filling for two shells, I did waste some egg whites and yolks. Next time I can plan ahead!

Crust (made two shells when using pie pans)

  • 2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup diced butter, chilled
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Lime zest from one lime
  • 5 Tbsp ice water

Filling One: Ricotta Lime Tart

  • 1 15 oz package of  whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 whole eggs
  • 2 egg whites 
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 3/4 cup ground almonds
  • grated zest from 2 limes 

Filling Two: Strawberry Ricotta Tart

  • 1 15 oz package of  whole milk ricotta cheese
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 whole egg yolks
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 pint of strawberries, sliced

Instructions

    Tart crust:

    In a food processor add the flour, sugar, butter, egg yolks and lime zest. Pulse a few times until it resembles fine crumbs. Add the water and pulse until evenly mixed.

    Using your fingers, press the dough into the tin. As I have mentioned I do not have a tart tin so I used two different dishes and ended up with enough for two, lining both the bottoms and sides of each dish.

    Cover the tart shells with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for about a half hour.

Filling One: Ricotta Lime Tart Instructions

In  mixing bowl, mix the ricotta cheese and sugar until combined.

Add the eggs and egg whites, a bit at a time, making sure to incorporate each time. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.


Add the ground almonds and lime zest, stir to combine.

Pour into the chilled crust and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 55 minutes.

Cool on a baking rack and then garnish with powdered sugar.

Filling Two: Strawberry Ricotta Tart Instructions

In  mixing bowl, mix the ricotta cheese and sugar until combined.

Add the egg yolks, making sure to incorporate well. Add the vanilla and almond extracts.

Pour the filling into the chilled tart shell and place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Take out of oven and let cool completely on wire rack.

Place sliced strawberries on the top of the tart in a decorative pattern. Garnish with powdered sugar. 


So there you have it, two tarts. Reviews? I liked the lime one better - I really liked the ground almonds in it. Kids liked the strawberry one - how can you go wrong with strawberries?



No comments:

Post a Comment