Saturday, June 29, 2013

Crockpot Cherry Coke and Hoisin Pot Roast

Admitting You Have a Problem is the First Step. . . 

Okay, I'm going to admit it. I look at an intriguing recipe on Pinterest and I say to myself, this time I'm going to make it exactly like the poster instructed. No deviations. I put all the items on the shopping list and have every intention to at least make it identical the first time I try it. After all, I have never even made a pot roast like this before.

Here is the original recipe that I found on Pinterest: Pot Roast from Pinterest The title even says "The Best Pot Roast. . . Ever!

But my mind starts planning, even if I tell it (very nicely) to be quiet. I think about the braised pork belly I had at Baconfest a couple of weeks back that was braised in Cherry Coke, and I think to myself, I bet that would be better than a cap of Pepsi. . . I read in the comments of the original recipe that the Au Jus packet made the recipe kind of salty and I think about adding some Hoisin with the Cherry Coke right in the beginning. Then I think about how nice some vegetables would be with this roast since I'm taking the time to cook it all day. Carrots, onions and some small little potatoes.

So here is my version, based on the original post I have referenced above.

Crock Pot Cherry Coke and Hoisin Pot Roast

Ingredients

2 1/4 lbs. Chuck Roast
The butcher told me this would get very tender and to approximate about .5 lbs per person you are serving
1 Sweet Onion, cut into wedges
3 large carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
3/4 lbs. small Dutch Yellow Potatoes, quartered
1 packet of McCormick's Slow Cooker Savory Pot Roast seasonings packet
1 cup water
12 oz Cherry Coke
2 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce

Directions

Prepare vegetables and lay on the bottom of the crock pot. Place the roast on top. 

Mix the seasoning packet with 1 cup of water. Pour into crock pot.

Measure out 12 ounces of cherry coke (or use a can), stir in the hoisin sauce. Pour over the roast.

Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4 hours). I found several warnings online, as well as on the seasoning packet to NOT lift the lid during cooking. You know I really want to. . . I want to flip the meat, smell the sauce, etc. I'm not going to do it!



8 hours later. . . 

So this is how the meat looked, undisturbed, after 8 hours. Tender, fall off the one (if there had been one) and tender veggies.
It was delicious and the liquids really tasted good poured over the top of the meat and vegetables. Leftovers the next day were even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment