Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tuesday Night Dinner Masquerading as a Monday

Tonight's Dinner
Tonight's main dish was the Beef and Cheese Crostata we had planned for as a meal this week. Bonus that there is a 1/2 jar of gravy, a pie crust, and shredded cheese so that all we will need is some more ground beef for next week. Rounding out this meal were some green beans (I'm on a "make your kids eat their veggies" kick) that were steamed and tossed quickly with some of the sweet butter we made yesterday (see yesterday's post for the recipe).



I have made some slight changes to the Beef Crostata recipe. Instead of putting in real garlic and chopped onion (kids here can detect it, even in minuscule amounts) I used minced toasted garlic (which is great with olive oil for a dip - just saying) and onion powder. I topped with a mixture of three shredded cheeses. That might sound fancy but it comes that way in the package.

Beef and Cheese Crostata


Now I must admit that Beef Crostata is not my thing - I like a taste but I wanted something lighter and refreshing so I made a new version of "salad with seafood of some sort and an avocado". That's my meal of choice lately. Maybe it's because it's refreshing and seems like a light summer dinner and it's below zero outside? A girl can dream of summer right?

So here is the latest version:

Crab and Avocado Salad



Crab and Avocado Salad

Ingredients:
  • 4 Crab Legs (the stuff you buy in the package, nope it's not real!) cut into pieces
  • 1 Avocado cut into cubes
  • 1 White Grapefruit, peeled and chopped 
  • 1/4 cup Pine Nuts
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Red Chili Flakes to taste

Dressing:
  • 1/4 cup Olive Oil
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Fish Sauce
  • 1/2 Teaspoon White Vinegar
  • 3 Tablespoons Lime Juice
  • Dash of  sugar

Mix salad ingredients gently. In a separate bowl whisk together dressing. Drizzle on individual plates of salad.




No comments:

Post a Comment