Sunday, January 27, 2013

Sunday Night is Leftovers but Monday Requires Lunch

It's a "Leftovers Sunday Night"!


This is a pretty rare occurrence around here but because of our trip to Frankenmuth yesterday and Chinese Carry Out, we have a lot of food to work with for dinner tonight. Of course the kids won't eat any of it and will have cheddar filled bratwursts tonight (with carrot sticks to pretend to add nutrition). Tomorrow does require some lunch packing as the leftovers won't carry us that far so I'm making a pot of cabbage and noodles tonight. I think our German theme is continuing as it's an old family recipe on my husband's side but then I think about the Chinese we are eating tonight. . . I guess we truly believe in a large melting pot when it comes to cuisine!

Cabbage and Noodles

Ingredients:
1 Large Head of Cabbage
1 Stick of Butter (I could have lied to you to make myself look good and said 1/2 stick but I don't like to lie)
1 Package of Keilbasa (photo of the kind I use)
1 Package of Egg Noodles
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Melt the butter in a large dutch oven or similar pot. Meanwhile cut the cabbage up and use all of it except the hard core. Add to pot and cover. Cook on a very low heat. You have to be patient. The cabbage on the bottom will burn and it tastes horrible when it burns. Slow heat and stir and check every once in a while. You will need a good half hour. If you like it super soft, even longer.

Boil water for egg noodles and cook according to the directions on the package. I would leave them a little firmer as you will add them to the pot. Slice the keilbasa and add to the pot along with the noodles stirring them gently to mix.

Cabbage and Noodles

 White Chocolate Strawberries

. . . and a couple of dried apricots for me!
Well it is Sunday night and on Sunday nights I cook. I felt kind of funny not cooking to be honest, especially since we ate out all yesterday - it was a feeding frenzy. . . My son has been asking me to make him chocolate covered strawberries for quite a while. Apparently he was at the mall with Nana and wanted one when he saw the showcase at the Godiva store. I'm sure they were delicious but apparently they were $7 a piece and he did not get one. He is traumatized by this based on the fact he keeps asking me to try it. Tonight was the night.

We used a whole pack of Baker's White Chocolate Squares and I found some pretty decent strawberries considering it's January. I washed them and let them drain for a bit and wiped them gently with paper towel. I melted the chocolate in the microwave and dipped them. Then I sprinkled them with red crystal sugar. I think they are pretty awesome. I bet Godiva didn't add red sugar! Don't you think that looks delicious? Andrew said they were quite tasty. Maybe I will buy him a Godiva one just to compare. The potential for validation is enormous!



No comments:

Post a Comment