Sunday, July 24, 2016

Book Review: Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander Series)

Book 8 

Should I feel accomplished or a little sad?


Well it's a little bit of both, actually. I enjoyed this book and felt like I was running the last few yards towards the finish line in my marathon of reading this series straight through but there is a lot to still know and I have to wait quite a while to get any more of the story.

It was a good story, and brought more dimension to some of the characters that we have been introduced to in the last couple of books, which was interesting. However, as I had noticed in the last book, it's in some ways having a negative impact on the storytelling for me. While the "voices" have alternated in many of the books between chapters, now there are more of these various perspectives that often make the story choppy, but this may be a way that the author is able to progress through the story at a faster pace?

Where this becomes an issue for me is that a central plot just disappears for long portions of the book after being an important component to the story. For instance Bree, Roger, and their kids take up a huge portion of the first half of this book and then disappear for most of the second half.

All in all this book was a good story, well written and entertaining. The author is working #9, but it's going to be a while.

Now to find something else to read. . . it's been months since I had to pick out a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment