Saturday, September 5, 2015

Book Review: Where She Went by Gayle Forman

This One Really Tops the First One

A companion book to "If I Stay"


As I mentioned in my review of If I Stay, this is the second book in the series which I discovered halfway through reading it. I put this down and began If I Stay instead. While you could read this book without reading the first book, you would miss some of the background and it wouldn't be as rich.

That being said, I think that this book is far more interesting in a lot of ways. This story picks up about three years or so after If I Stay and is from the voice of Adam rather than Mia.

Adam is now a famous rock star with a lot of demons, including baggage from his break up from Mia. He isn't sure why she stopped talking to him but from those turbulent emotions he was able to convey his anger into his music which launched him into stardom. The problem is that he can't seem to deal with anything anymore, including being seen on the street, answering questions for an interview, or even being with his bandmates.

Through a series of events, he finds himself in front of Mia once again and looks for closure from her, as well as the reason why she broke it off with him.

I really enjoyed this book. It reminded me just a bit of The Notebook in terms of emotions and love. While the characters are much younger I think that many of the issues they had in their lives were ageless and I really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment