Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Book Review: Cleopatra: A Life by Stacy Schiff

Worth Reading vs. Not Worth Reading?


I'm "on the fence" about this one


I go back and forth about including this one on the recommended list. I should say that after getting two thirds of the way through with this book, I gave up and moved on. Why? Because while this book was interesting in the way that it provided a lot of intriguing facts about Cleopatra but that is my summation of this book. . . There are a lot of facts but not necessarily a good story to read. This exercise left me more knowledgable not only about the woman but about the time period and the culture. The delivery however was not entertaining but dry.

If you are a huge fan of Cleopatra and want to know more about the real history you may be interested in this book. If you are looking for an entertaining story (which of course would involve some fictionalization) this may not be your first choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment