Saturday, September 10, 2016

Restaurant Review: Dangerously Delicious Pie Washington DC

Yes, I visited it in DC but it's here in Detroit too!


Dangerously Delicious Pie was located a couple of blocks away from the hotel I was staying in for a conference recently. This was right on the edges of Chinatown and if someone hadn't literally pointed me to this place I would have missed it.

What's funny about this is that this same restaurant has a location in Wyandotte, Michigan after a guest stint at a Detroit bar. No, I hadn't tried it back home. I was a little leery of the whole pie concept. . . I like quiche on occasion and I do love a good dessert pie, but I don't think I could have imagined all the varieties that this place had to offer.


The older I get the less dessert is important and often I find that after eating a meal I'm satisified, or just need a little bit of chocolate rather than a whole dish of sugar. However, I'm going to let you know how serious I am about this particular pie by showcasing the dessert first. Yep, this pie is the bomb! I wrote that, just now, before I even realized that this pie is indeed called the Bomb. The Baltimore Bomb. A special Baltimore cookie called the Berger, is combined into a chess filling. The results are spectacular.

Savory pies are also pretty damn good. I had the SMOG (Steak, Mushroom, Onion and Gruyere. Yes, it's as good as it sounds. Don't mistake this for quiche because it's not although they do offer a few of those. . . This is a flaky pie crust, covered with more pie crust, with a combination of all those yummy ingredients in between. There's gravy and there's no egg consistency.


Savories come with a side of salad that was fresh and a variety of dressings. This place is tiny and I imagine they do a lot of carry out rather than sit down, but the countertop by the window was excellent for people watching.

There are plenty of pies to choose from. . . Savory offerings of vegan, chicken, seafood and of course beef and sausage. The sweet stuff includes traditional and seasonal favorites with fruits, cream and of course chocolate.

You really can't go wrong and yes, I will try the local one! Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment