Sunday, March 15, 2015

Spicy Blue Cheese Dip

Well, you don't have to make it quite as spicy. . .


Just creamy goodness sometimes likes a little spice!

Years ago I had a dinner party and made a salad with romaine lettuce hearts and a homemade blue cheese dressing that became the basis for this dip that we serve at parties, or for a snack, now. Honestly I guess it is still also a salad dressing but since we use it as a dip, identifying vehicles to use to eat such as pea pods and other vegetables, crackers, chips and chunks of bread. . . Well it's a dip now.

This is a super easy recipe. Start with putting equal amounts of sour cream and mayo together in a food processor. I used a 16 oz. container of sour cream so I added about 2 cups of mayo with it. I have a Ninja and it works very well for this, although it is probably a hybrid between a food processor and a blender. A word about sour cream and mayo. Don't skimp. I use the full fat kind and I am very particular about my sour cream, using one brand that we have locally over all others (Breakstone's). I'm sure you have a favorite as well so I would encourage you to use it. After all this is the basis of your whole dip (or salad dressing) so you want to have a good foundation to build upon. Off my soapbox now. Just don't use reduced fat please!!!! Process it for a minute or so to get the ingredients incorporated.

To this, I add about a tablespoon of lemon juice to the mixture and blend again. Now it's time to add the flavors. I build upon these slowly and taste often because you don't want to put too much heat or salt into this. . . An important ingredient in this is the Sriracha sauce and you just don't want to add more than you want. . . I drip some on top and then blend, and then taste, until I get it right. I also add dill weed, sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and a little cayenne for a bit more heat. Blend and taste, and then add more spices as you see fit. Depending on my mood, this can get real spicy, especially if I'm having an adventurous bunch over for a get together. In those situations this dip is often pink in color. For today's post, I was a little more cautious and make it tasty but not overall spicy. You may want to adjust to your taste when you read my recipe.

The final ingredient that we add once we have everything balanced the way we want it is blue cheese. Now I have bought expensive blue cheeses in the past but it's really not necessary for this dip as you have a lot going on here. I buy the regular run of the mill grocery store stuff, already crumbled. I typically add the whole container. When I mix it in, I pulse the processor and do this very slowly, not full power hog wild, because I want it to remain in chunks.

Once you have the blue cheese in, you really are done. Now it's wonderful freshly made but if you put it in the fridge it will set up and become a little thicker. The flavors also marry and there is a little more heat the next day. You won't regret letting it sit overnight.

Spicy Blue Cheese Dip (or salad dressing) Recipe

1 16oz container sour cream
2 cups mayo
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 Tablespoon Sriracha sauce
1/2 teaspoon dill weed
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 5oz container of crumbled blue cheese

Mix sour cream and mayo in food processor. Add lemon juice and mix again.

Add spices and hot sauce, mix and then taste, adjusting as necessary to suit your preferences.

Add blue cheese and pulse lightly.

Place in covered container in fridge overnight.

Serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or chips.







No comments:

Post a Comment