Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunday Cocktail: Should I call it a Cucumber Slurpee?

It's Definitely an Ode to a Single Cucumber


I tried my hand at container gardening on the deck this year. All I wanted was cucumbers. See, cucumbers were essential for cocktails with Hendrick's Gin. But alas, the crop of cucumbers were not bountiful. It was rather, ahem, pathetic. The first cucumber had promise. It was beautiful and actually made the vine that had attached to our chiminea sag under its weight. However, a small varmint (squirrel, chipmunk, or?) took a huge bite out of it and I'm not sharing with rodents. The second cucumber also suffered a similar fate. But yesterday, we found one that was untouched and it was beautiful. Yes, tiny, but perfect!

A last hurrah to summer, right? It actually was a beautiful day for very late September, with a high reaching almost 80 degrees and bright sunny skies. . . I really couldn't resist. My Sunday Cocktail Buddy is out of town today and I had to carry on without her but I persevered. 

I muddled some slices of cucumber right into a Ninja cup. No need to mess up extra glasses (come to think of it I could have just drank the drink in the Ninja cup too but that was where I drew the line. I like a cocktail in a pretty glass at the end. To the muddled cucumbers I added about 1.5 oz of Hendrick's Gin and the filled the glass up to the maximum level with ice, adding Canada Dry Ginger Ale and a squeeze of lime juice. I placed it on top of the blender and it came out as a frothy Slurpee. A refreshing cucumber version of a Slurpee.

I think the glass does make it look festive. . . garnished with a fresh slice of cucumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment