Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Book Review: The Painter by Peter Heller

A Journey in an Artist's Mind

Art, Anger, Sorrow, Violence and Retribution


Meet Jim, an unexpected successful artist despite his ability to sabotage himself. Grief consumes him and his anger causes him to lash out. While his paintings are masterpieces and visual poetry, the rest of his life is in chaos except when he is fly fishing.

I don't want to give much away in this story but his narrative is fascinating. As he describes his painting you see the process and it's a cathartic expression, making sense of his life as he navigates emotions. I didn't think I would be able to identify with a middle age man in recovery with his demons but his voice resonated with me.

This is a wonderful book that I can't pigeonhole into a category. It stands by itself and was a great read.

No comments:

Post a Comment