Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Book Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Sometimes a Book is Just as Good the Second Time. . .


. . . and maybe a third?


I have read this book before, and yes, it might be the third time. I know I read at least the second book after this in the series but it was years ago and not all of the rest that are available were around to add to the journey.

Recently, with the promotion of the television series based on these books, the stories have cropped up again and I thought that I would revisit these stories. I have seen glimpses of the series in the form of still shots and I don't know that I will watch it as I have a visual image of what Jamie and Claire should look like and I think that seeing them in the flesh may ruin that for me.

If you haven't read this book, I highly recommend it and it was just as entertaining this time around. While it's featured as a sci fi series right now, this is also a historical romance with a sense of humor as well as an adventure. I seem to recall liking the rest of the story, featured in Books 2 and 3, less, but we will see this time around as I have 8 of them in my possession and plan to try to read them back to back. I did that with Harry Potter 1-5 and that was quite a binge as I didn't have to wait for publication dates.

I probably should tell you just a little bit about the plot? In case you don't know. Claire is reunited with her husband after the war and is vacationing in Scotland to become reacquainted. She ends up going back in time by accident, to the 18th Century. Through a series of events, this British woman ends up married to a Scot and caught between two worlds and two loves. What she knows about the past, from her original time, can impact history in this new world she lives in.

Fun stuff. Highly entertaining and I dare you not to fall in love with Jamie. On to Book 2 because I have it. I don't even have to come up for air!

No comments:

Post a Comment