Friday, April 3, 2015

Potato Frittata

I have made potato frittata before but this one is more of a "back to basics".  I have been thinking about this dish for quite some time and today was the perfect day to make one. We had stopped at Trader Joe's to buy some flowers for Passover dinner later tonight and I was admiring these beautiful little bags of assorted potatoes with a variety of russets, gold and purples that were calling to me. Because we are eating dinner so late tonight it seemed like a good little meal to tide us over.

Years ago I used to go to a restaurant in Royal Oak called Sangria which really did specialize in pitchers of liquid goodness but they also had a variety of tapas. They served their potato frittata cold, with a nice little Thousand Island dressing on the side. The restaurant has been gone for a few years now but I feel like we pay homage to it by having this dish every once in a while. It really was my favorite thing there besides the Sangria. I will probably try another go at a wine cocktail later this weekend that will be reminiscent of Sangria as well.


I sliced the potatoes pretty thinly, less than a 1/4 inch thick, and picked a few different varieties. I placed them in a heavy skillet that is also ovenproof, and sauteed them slowly with some olive oil. To begin with I carefully arrange them in a single layer which is a good way to gauge if I will have enough for the fritatta later when we add the eggs. I let these cook for quite some time, until browned, and then turned them over to cook again.

Once the potato slices were cooked, I placed them on a plate lined with paper towel. To the pan, I added a little bit of garlic and minced shallots with the leftover oil, cooking for just a few minutes on low. While this was going I quickly whisked 8 eggs in a large bowl. I added a little bit of butter to the pan before adding my mixed eggs. After the eggs set a bit I arranged the potato slices and cooked a little longer so the bottom would be closed to done. The top takes longer in this thick pan so I sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top and finished it in the broiler. Once it cooled a bit I cut it into wedges.

This tastes great warm but I like it even better the next day chilled. I was hungry so I didn't wait, serving it with a quick little sauce of mayo and ketchup. I'm going to put the other wedges in a Pyrex for tomorrow morning's breakfast so I can enjoy it straight from the fridge. It really does taste good cold!

Potato Frittata Recipe

Ingredients:
5 small potatoes
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp minced shallots
Pat of butter
8 Eggs
Salt to taste

Slice potatoes thinly, place in a heated pan with olive oil. Flip slices halfway through, when they begin to turn golden brown. Place on plate that is lined with paper towel.

Place garlic and shallots in the pan with remaining olive oil, cook gently. While this is cooking, mix the eggs quickly. Add a pat of butter to pan and let heat for a few seconds without turning brown. Add eggs.

Let eggs set slightly. Add potatoes in a single layer to the egg mixture. Cook a bit longer. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese on topPlace the pan in an oven on broil, far away from the top rack and cook until fully set.

Let frittata slightly cool and cut into wedges. You can also store in Pyrex overnight in the fridge and serve cold the next day.






No comments:

Post a Comment